Last Updated on 2 years by Anoob P
UAN or Universal Account Number is a number associated with Employee Provident Fund (EPF) which is mandatory for most employees working in India.
When I started working, I had no idea what is UAN or EPF and only when I wanted to withdraw my Provident Fund for some emergency, I realized the importance of UAN number.
With UAN or Universal Account Number you can check your EPF balance, take loans using funds in your EPF and even withdraw your EPF funds.
Here is everything you need to know about UAN, how to login to UAN portal, UAN KYC required and UAN customer care number in case you need to get resolve some issues with your UAN or EPF account.
What is UAN?
Universal Account Number or UAN is a 12 digit number given to salaried employees as part of their Employee Provident Fund account.
As the EPF facilities in our country are digitalised, you can get all the details related to your provident fund using this number. With this unique number, you can easily manage and access your PF accounts. Even when you change or switch jobs you will be given different EPF member IDS; however, the UAN remains the same.
With the allotment of UAN to every salaried employee, it is now easy to transfer your PF accounts, get EPF statement and withdraw EPF.
The services and information about your provident fund can be easily availed through online using UAN. The introduction of the UAN helps in keeping track of the number of times an employee has changed jobs and reducing the trouble that companies and organisations go through in the verification of employees.
UAN Login Process
If the company you are working has more than 20 employees, it is mandatory to register in EPF UAN online. In order to register for UAN, you have to:
- Go to employer’s portal.
- Log in with your establishment ID and password.
- In the member section, select “Register Individual”.
- In the page that appears, you will be asked to give some information. Enter the required information like Aadhar card, PAN and bank details.
- Approve all the details and a new UAN is generated.
- Now this UAN can be linked with the new employee’s PF account by using other EPFO online services.
How to generate UAN using Aadhaar card?
With your Aadhar card and the mobile number registered with it, you can generate a UAN very easily. Here are the steps to be followed:
- Go to the EPF portal for an employee.
- In the page of EPF Portal, select “Online Aadhaar Verified UAN allotment”.
- You need to enter your Aadhaar number on the next page and click on “Generate OTP”.
- An OTP would be received on your registered mobile number.
- The next screen would show details of the user associated with the Aadhaar number. You can modify any details you want.
- After you click on “Register”, a new UAN is generated and allotted to you.
KYC stands for Know Your Customer and a one-time process done by financial institutions like banks in order to verify the identity of its customers. As there are a lot of illegal activities and money laundering happening in India, the government had made KYC mandatory for banking or investment transactions. Through this process, the customer’s identity and appropriateness are verified. Moreover, this also keeps a check on any involvement in unlawful practices.
The registration agencies need to submit a list of documents like PAN, Aadhaar etc. to complete the KYC process for mutual fund investors. To complete this process you need KYC forms and proofs of identity as well as address.
KYC updation can be done very easily for employees. You need to have some of the documents like PAN, Aadhaar, Passport, Driving license, Ration card, Election card/ Voter’s ID, National Population Register (NPR) and Bank details. To update your KYC details:
- Go to the EPFO Member Portal. Login to your EPF account using your UAN and Password and enter the Captcha.
- In the “Manage” option, click on “KYC”.
- On the next page, you can fill the information and details about the documents required. In front of each document, there is a box, which you need to tick as per the documents you include.
- Once you click on Save, your data will be saved under the “Pending KYC” section.
- After the details given are verified by the EPFO from the concerned department, it changes to “verified” for each document. You have successfully updated the KYC details then.
How to activate UAN?
To activate a UAN, one has to do the following:
- Go to EPF portal for employee.
- Click on “Activate UAN” link under section “Important Links” on the right-hand side corner.
- On the next page, enter all the details and information that are mandatory and click on “Generate Authorization PIN”
- Enter the PIN received on your registered mobile number and click on “submit”. A system-generated password would be sent to your mobile number.
- You can now login by entering the new password received.
- It is recommended to change this system-generated password.
UAN Claim Status
You can check the status of your EPF withdrawal or transfer claims using UAN:
- Log in to the UAN Member Portal with your UAN and Password.
- Click on the ‘Online Services’ tab and a drop down will appear.
- Click on the third option- ‘Track Claim Status’.
- The status of your online withdrawal/transfer claim will appear on the screen.
UAN Customer Care Number
For any queries or problems related to EPF, you can avail help from UAN helpdesk. You can call on the toll-free number 1800 11 8005 between 9.15 Am to 5.45 PM or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to communicate an issue in the website Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation, contact any of the regional offices listed at “Contact Us”.
I have a very good charted accountant who helps me with all my queries related to EPF, UAN and filing taxes.
If you need any help with EPF account, withdrawing funds from EPF or doubts related to UAN, you can ping me on the chat and I will give you his number to help you out.
Documents required to get your UAN
It is important to have the UAN which acts as an access to the details of your EPF account. Hence, if you get a new job make sure you get UAN too. These are the mandatory documents to get your UAN.
- (ESIC) Employees’ State Insurance Corporation card: It is the card issued as part of the self-financing security and health insurance system for employees that covers benefits like medical, maternity, disablement, dependents as well as funeral and rehabilitation expenses.
- Banking information: Bank account number, IFSC code, and branch name
- PAN card: You have to make sure that your PAN card is linked to your UAN for tax processes.
- Aadhaar card: Being a mandatory document for identification, the Aadhar card should be linked to your mobile number and bank account.
- Proof of identification: Any national identity proof of identification with affixed photograph such as driving license, passport, Aadhaar card, voter ID etc.
- Proof of address: any ID proof with address, rental agreement or utility bills in your name.
Employee benefits of UAN
Unique Account Number has had most benefits for the employee who can access the details about his PF accounts and keep a check on it conveniently and in a much easy manner.
- One of the biggest benefits of UAN for an employee is the ease and convenience in transferring EPF when switching jobs. This single UAN stands accountable for all your PF accounts, no matter if you change your job.
- You can give the employer your UAN and can check monthly the PF deposits done by the employer. The EPF account can be managed online with the help of UAN after KYC verification.
- As you can link all your PF accounts together, there will not be or comparatively less withdrawal.
- You will be updated about the PF deposits monthly and hence, there will be less employer intervention.
- PF statement can be viewed and downloaded instantly either via the portal or an SMS.
- You will also receive SMS alerts in case of any fraudulent activities relating to your PF account.
Merging multiple PFs under one UAN
As I have mentioned earlier, you can merge your PF accounts when you switch jobs.
This is a much easier way rather than deactivating an old UAN and applying for a new one.
This 12 digit number will be only one thing you need to remember so as to access the PF you have received so far in your employee life.
The EPFO allows employees to merge all the PF accounts and funds under one UAN. However, it should be noted that the maximum number of PF accounts which can be merged under one UAN is 10.
After the limit, you will have to register for a new UAN through the activation process.
The documents and the criteria you require in order to avail this facility are:
- You need a UAN
- Your current EPF account must be linked to your UAN
- KYC must be completed and verified by your current employer; includes bank account number, PAN card number, Aadhaar number, and IFSC code
- UAN must be activated. A waiting time of 3 days to access this service post activation of UAN
If you have the documents in hands and have met all the requirements mentioned above, you can start with the process of merging your PF accounts under your UAN:
- Visit the EPFO portal
- Click on ‘For Employees’ under ‘Our Services’ tab
- Then click on ‘One Employee – One EPF Account’ link
- Enter details and then hit the ‘Generate OTP’ button. An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number that is linked with your UAN
- Enter your old EPF id, accept the declaration and click on the ‘Submit’ button
Deactivating old UANs
You may have to get a new UAN when you change your job due to some reasons. One could be any issue you had with your former employer and hence, does not want your new employer to know about it.
Another reason could be that your former employer did not mention or update the last working day (date of exit) of the employee in the Electronic Challan and Return (ECR).
When you get a new UAN, you should deactivate the old one. There are two ways in which you can do this.
The first one is an ideal approach in which you can merge your PFs and then deactivate. You can also deactivate without doing so. Here are the ways in which you can deactivate your old UANs.
Merging your PFs and deactivating your old UAN:
- You can submit a request to merge your PFs under the new UAN as per given in the above steps.
- Once a request is submitted, the EPFO automatically chooses the older UANs in through different processes.
- As soon as the identification phase is complete, the older UANs will be deactivated.
- After being deactivated, your PF under the older UAN will be moved to the new UAN and you will also receive an intimidation about the deactivation via SMS.
- You need to activate the new UAN if it has not been activated. You will receive a message from EPFO otherwise.
You can also deactivate your UAN through this way. However, this process is tedious and time-consuming.
- Inform your current employer or the EPFO about the existence of multiple UANs.
- Write an email to email@example.com from your registered email ID clearly stating that you need to merge your PFs under the new UAN and have to deactivate the old ones.
- EPFO will carry out verification to address your request.
- Upon completion of verification, the old UANs will be deactivated.
- To transfer the EPF accounts from the older UANs to the new, individual claims must be submitted.
Frequently Asked Questions about UAN
What happens to the UAN when you change the job?
You can give the UAN to your new employer and merge your PFs by visiting the employee portal page of EPFO. You need not change or get a new UAN.
Can a person have two UANs?
If you have two UANs, then you should inform the matter either to your employer and through email to firstname.lastname@example.org by mentioning, both – your current UAN and your previous UAN(s). After due verification, the previous UAN(s) allotted to you will be blocked and the current UAN will be kept active. Later you will be required to submit a Claim to get transfer of service and fund to the current UAN.
What should be done if personal details are not correct in UAN Card?
You should submit correct details to the employer along with proof of document. Employer will certify and submit information to concerned Field Office. The UAN Card is dynamic and shall get updated automatically.
What are the other facilities or benefits you can access as an EPFO member?
An EPFO member can view or download EPF passbook, enter KYC details for verification, edit personal details, view Member IDs assigned by previous employers, download/view EPF card and track/submit EPF claim.
What is the reason behind linking of UAN with Aadhaar card?
Aadhaar card and UAN are linked so that employees can submit and receive claims in the shortest time possible. By doing this, they can ensure that there is no need for attestation required from the employer at the time of submitting a claim. Moreover, any evidence for the partial withdrawal of funds — for an event such as marriage, or for medical or educational purposes — need not be submitted to the EPFO.